Directory
Gardening Blogs
Events
Pick-Your-Own
Discussions
Knowledgebase
Featured Links
Home  >  Trees  >  What to grow, and how to grow it?

There is 1 Reply to this message. This thread was viewed 5161.

Topic: What to grow, and how to grow it?
Post By Ontario Gardening ID: 13315
Sat, Apr 19 at 08:57:53 EDT
What to grow, and how to grow it?
After searching around for a couple days I think I've finally found a place where I can ask about some gardening tips and tricks.

This year I am planning on planting a vegetable garden mostly, although I'd like to also plant some herbs and spices.

I live in Hamilton, Ontario and I'm just wondering what I need to do to the soil in preparation? I just spent two days turning all the soil over(sunburn already!). Now that it's all turned over, I dug the soil about 6 inches in depth with a shovel, and rake, etc.. The soil is is more like clay so it retains moisture. it's a lot more loose now. But, I do want to put some manure, or some more things to the soil to have more nutrients. What would be a good suggestions? Would sheep manure do the job or anything else?

Mind you, I'm not sure how much things will cost, or if I'll need to start by seed. Any suggestions, and considerations would be greatly appreciated. I am on a budget.

I was browsing in Flickr to see what others grew in and around Hamilton.

Here's a list of things I'd like to grow:
Celery, Wax Beans, Peas, Carrots, Spinach, Peppers(not sure what kinds grow here), Cucumber, Romaine Lettuce, Cherry Tomatoes, Regular Tomatoes, Zucchini, Sunflowers

Also some herbs:
Basil, Chives, Parsley, Majoram, Thyme

If anyone could suggest some more things to grow it would be awesome!

I'm not much of a garden buff, but, I know I need to have a good up keep, and have preparation for such things to grow. With any of those things listed, do I need to start anything by seed, and if I need to start anything by seed, how are the cost variations and would I need a lot of space to plant seeds in pots? Is it too late(Apr. 19, 2008) for seeds?

Thank you for reading my post, and as you can see I have my work cut out for me. Please suggest anything that I should know, and take into consideration.

Thanks a bunch,
Justin
Private Reply to This Post (not viewable by others)
Reply To This Post
Posted By Ontario Gardening ID:6
Mon, Apr 21 at 01:42:34 EDT
Re: What to grow, and how to grow it?
Hi Justin,
The area that you mentioned, does it get a lot of sun?
Also, can I make a request and ask you to start up your Blog through this site? It would be very interesting for the readers to follow what you have done and make suggestions through your blog as well.

Thanks
Af

Private Reply to This Post (not viewable by others)

Reply to This Post

Copyright © Yasna Inc. 2006. All Rights Reserved