Directory
Gardening Blogs
Events
Pick-Your-Own
Discussions
Knowledgebase
Featured Links
Home  >  Gardening Projects  >  Rainbarrels to conserve

There are 3 replies to this message. This thread was viewed 6207.

Topic: Rainbarrels to conserve
Post By Ontario Gardening ID: 13107
Sun, Dec 17 at 05:52:23 EST
Rainbarrels to conserve

Is anyone collecting rainwater to store and irrigate their vegetable or perennial flower garden ?                                                                                                                                                       Rain is an inexpensive alternative to city water and would offset the cost of the barrel(s) lines, valves pump etc. over time considering the cost of water provided you store enough rain. I started with one barrel and now a have four linked together. After a good rain I calculate about 320 litres of usable rain for the garden only. During a dry summer it's good to have as a back up source. If you have similar ideas or have something like this let's compare notes Thanks.

Rick.

Private Reply to This Post (not viewable by others)
Reply To This Post
Posted By Ontario Gardening ID:13194
Fri, May 11 at 03:05:26 EDT
Re: Rainbarrels to conserve
Is there a pumping system for watering ( ie for the lawn) from rainbarrels or do you water manually

Reply to This Post
Posted By Ontario Gardening ID:13107
Fri, Jul 13 at 10:58:50 EDT

Hi  and thanks for responding.

With polyproplyene containers linked together they all find their own equal level and all sediment and unwanted matter diminishes by the time the rain reaches the fourth barrel all in series that is. The

Reply to This Post
Posted By Ontario Gardening ID:13107
Fri, Jul 13 at 11:08:37 EDT

Cont'd:

last barrel has the cleanest water where I installed a 1/4 hp utility sump pump with it's own float switch as to shut off automatically. There is enough pressure to drip feed every plant on a 50' X 110' lot. A timer is also an optional.

Reply to This Post

Copyright © Yasna Inc. 2006. All Rights Reserved